Chronic kidney disease (CKD) is usually considered an immune inflammatory disease. Interaction between platelets and monocytes is associated with immune inflammation. Cross-talk between platelets and monocytes is reflected by formation monocyte-platelet aggregates (MPAs). This study aims to test MPAs and MPAs with the different monocyte subsets to evaluate their association with disease severity in CKD.
Forty-four hospitalized patients with CKD and twenty healthy volunteers were enrolled. The proportion of MPAs and MPAs with the different monocyte subsets were tested by flow cytometry.
The proportion of circulating MPAs in all patients with CKD were significantly higher than those of healthy controls (p<0.001). A higher proportion of MPAs with classical monocytes (CM) was found in CKD4-5 patients (p=0.007), while another higher proportion of MPAs with non-classical monocytes (NCM) was found CKD2-3 patients (p<0.001). The proportion of MPAs with intermediate monocytes (IM) in CKD 4-5 group was significantly higher in comparison to CKD2-3 group and healthy controls (p<0.001). Circulating MPAs were found to be correlated with serum creatinine (r=0.538, p<0.001) and eGFR (r=-0.864, p<0.001). The AUC for MPAs with IM was 0.942 (95% CI 0.890-0.994, p<0.001).
Study results highlight the interplay between platelets and inflammatory monocytes in CKD. There are alterations in circulating MPAs and MPAs with the different monocyte subsets in CKD patients compared to controls which change with CKD severity. The MPAs may have an important role in the development of CKD or as a predictive marker for monitoring disease severity.
Key Indexing Terms
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of the Medical Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Cholesterol and recurrent events (CARE) trial investigators. Biomarkers of inflammation and progression of chronic kidney disease.Kidney Int. 2005; 68: 237-245
- Immune cell dysfunction and inflammation in end-stage renal disease.Nat Rev Nephrol. 2013; 9: 255-265
- The role of the immune system in kidney disease.Clin Exp Immunol. 2018; 192: 142-150
- Chronic kidney disease.Lancet. 2017; 389: 1238-1252
- The immune system and kidney disease: basic concepts and clinical implications.Nat Rev Immunol. 2013; 13: 738-753
- Metabolic changes in peripheral blood mononuclear cells isolated from patients with end stage renal disease.Front Endocrinol. 2021; 12 (Lausanne)629239
- CD14+CD16+ monocytes from chronic kidney disease patients exhibit increased adhesion ability to endothelial cells.Contrib Nephrol. 2011; 171: 57-61
- Endothelial cell-borne platelet bridges selectively recruit monocytes in human and mouse models of vascular inflammation.Cardiovasc Res. 2011; 91: 134-141
- Elevation of platelet and monocyte activity markers of atherosclerosis in haemodialysis patients compared to peritoneal dialysis patients.Mediators Inflamm. 2017; 20178506072
- Platelet and monocyte activity markers and mortality in patients with end-stage renal disease.Clin Lab. 2020; : 66
- Platelet-monocyte interactions–a dangerous liaison linking thrombosis, inflammation and atherosclerosis.Curr Med Chem. 2008; 15: 1976-1980
- Nomenclature of monocytes and dendritic cells in blood.Blood. 2010 Oct 21; 116: e74-e80
- Platelet-monocyte aggregates: bridging thrombosis and inflammation.Circulation. 2002; 105: 2130-2132
- Circulating monocyte-platelet aggregates are a robust marker of platelet activity in cardiovascular disease.Atherosclerosis. 2019; 282: 11-18
- Increased proatherogenic monocyte-platelet cross-talk in monocyte subpopulations of patients with stable coronary artery disease.J Intern Med. 2014; 275: 144-154
- Monocyte-platelet aggregates affect local inflammation in patients with acute myocardial infarction.Int J Cardiol. 2019; 287: 7-12
- Monocyte-platelet cross-talk in peripheral artery disease-how much does the pathogenesis of atherosclerosis depend on anatomical location?.Ann Transl Med. 2019; 7 (Suppl): S19
- Kidney disease: improving global outcomes (KDIGO) CKD work group. KDIGO 2012 clinical practice guideline for the evaluation and management of chronic kidney disease.Kidney Int Suppl. 2013; 3: 5-14
- Monocyte and macrophage differentiation: circulation inflammatory monocyte as biomarker for inflammatory diseases.Biomark Res. 2014; 2: 1
- The role of platelets in the recruitment of leukocytes during vascular disease.Platelets. 2015; 26: 507-520
- Monocyte-platelet interaction induces a pro-inflammatory phenotype in circulating monocytes.PLoS One. 2011; 6: e25595
- Higher levels of circulating monocyte-platelet aggregates are correlated with viremia and increased sCD163 levels in HIV-1 infection.Cell Mol Immunol. 2015; 12: 435-443
- Elevation of monocyte-platelet aggregates is an early marker of type 2 diabetes.Interv Med Appl Sci. 2012; 4: 181-185
- Course of platelet activation and platelet-leukocyte interaction in cerebrovascular ischemia.Stroke. 2006; 37: 2283-2287
- Monocyte subsets and monocyte-platelet aggregates: implications in predicting septic mortality among surgical critical illness patients.Biomarkers. 2016; 21: 509-516
- Circulating monocyte-platelet aggregates are a more sensitive marker of in vivo platelet activation than platelet surface P-selectin: studies in baboons, human coronary intervention, and human acute myocardial infarction.Circulation. 2001; 25: 1533-1537
- Gene expression profiling reveals the defining features of the classical, intermediate, and nonclassical human monocyte subsets.Blood. 2011; 118: e16-e31
- SuperSAGE evidence for CD14++CD16+ monocytes as a third monocyte subset.Blood. 2011; 118: e50-e61
- Monocyte subsets and monocyte-platelet aggregates in patients with unstable angina.J Thromb Thrombolysis. 2014; 38: 439-446
- Impact of Mon2 monocyte-platelet aggregates on human coronary artery disease.Eur J Clin Invest. 2018; 48: e12911
- Differences in monocyte subsets and monocyte-platelet aggregates in acute myocardial infarction-preliminaryresults.Am J Med Sci. 2019; 357: 421-434
- Circulating CD14+CD16+ monocyte subsets as biomarkers of the severity of coronary artery disease in patients with stable angina pectoris.Circ J. 2012; 76: 2412-2418
Published online: February 14, 2023
Accepted: February 8, 2023
Received: February 21, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
The first 3 authors (SL, YW, YJ) are joint first authors.
© 2023 Southern Society for Clinical Investigation. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.