Previous studies have shown the role of microRNA (miR)-19 in aging-related heart failure. The present study aimed to verify the effects of miR-19 on cardiac fibrosis and its target.
Cardiac fibrosis was induced by myocardial infarction (MI)-induced heart failure and angiotensin (Ang) II-treated rats in vivo, and was induced in Ang II-treated cardiac fibroblasts (CFs) in vitro.
The expression of miR-19 was reduced in the heart tissue of MI and Ang II-treated rats, and Ang II-treated CFs. The impaired cardiac function in rats was repaired after miR-19 administration. The levels of collagen I, collagen III and transforming growth factor-beta (TGF-β) increased in the heart tissue of MI and Ang II-treated rats, and Ang II-treated CFs. These increases were reversed by miR-19 agomiR. Moreover, the bioinformatic analysis and luciferase reporter assays demonstrated that connective tissue growth factor (CTGF) was a direct target of miR-19. MiR-19 treatment inhibited CTGF expression in CFs, while CTGF overexpression inhibited miR-19 agomiR to attenuate the Ang II-induced increases of collagen I and collagen III in CFs. The increases of p-ERK, p-JNK and p-p38 in the CFs induced by Ang II were repressed by miR-19 agomiR.
Upregulating miR-19 can improve cardiac function and attenuate cardiac fibrosis by inhibiting the CTGF and MAPK pathways.
Key Indexing Terms
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of the Medical Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Evaluation and management of heart failure with preserved ejection fraction.Nat Rev Cardiol. 2020; 17: 559-573
- Myocardial substrate metabolism in the normal and failing heart.Physiol Rev. 2005; 85: 1093-1129
- Heart failure.N Engl J Med. 2003; 348: 2007-2018
- MicroRNAs in the development of left ventricular remodeling and postmyocardial infarction heart failure.Pol Arch Intern Med. 2020; 130: 59-65
- Mitochondrial CaMKII causes adverse metabolic reprogramming and dilated cardiomyopathy.Nat Commun. 2020; 11: 4416
- Targeting myocardial remodelling to develop novel therapies for heart failure: a position paper from the Working Group on Myocardial Function of the European Society of Cardiology.Eur J Heart Fail. 2014; 16: 494-508
- TNAP is a novel regulator of cardiac fibrosis after myocardial infarction by mediating TGF-beta/Smads and ERK1/2 signaling pathways.EBioMedicine. 2021; 67103370
- The pathogenesis of cardiac fibrosis.Cell Mol Life Sci. 2014; 71: 549-574
- Regulation of cardiac hypertrophy by intracellular signalling pathways.Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol. 2006; 7: 589-600
- ECM remodeling in hypertensive heart disease.J Clin Invest. 2007; 117: 568-575
- Redefining the identity of cardiac fibroblasts.Nat Rev Cardiol. 2017; 14: 484-491
- MicroRNAs: genomics, biogenesis, mechanism, and function.Cell. 2004; 116: 281-297
- The role of microRNAs regulating the expression of matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) in breast cancer development, progression, and metastasis.J Cell Physiol. 2018; 234: 5399-5412
- The art of microRNA research.Circ Res. 2011; 108: 219-234
- Overview of microRNA biology.Semin Liver Dis. 2015; 35: 3-11
- MicroRNAs in heart failure: is the picture becoming less miRky?.Circ Heart Fail. 2014; 7: 203-214
- Non-cardiomyocyte microRNAs in heart failure.Cardiovasc Res. 2012; 93: 573-582
- MicroRNA-18 and microRNA-19 regulate CTGF and TSP-1 expression in age-related heart failure.Aging Cell. 2011; 10: 769-779
- Connective tissue growth factor (CTGF) from basics to clinics.Matrix Biol. 2018; 68-69: 44-66
- Connective tissue growth factor inhibition enhances cardiac repair and limits fibrosis after myocardial infarction.JACC Basic Transl Sci. 2019; 4: 83-94
- Inhibition of cardiac sympathetic afferent reflex and sympathetic activity by baroreceptor and vagal afferent inputs in chronic heart failure.PLoS One. 2011; 6: e25784
- Substance P inhibits the collagen synthesis of rat myocardial fibroblasts induced by Ang II.Med Sci Monit. 2016; 22: 4937-4946
- Effect of testosterone on the proliferation and collagen synthesis of cardiac fibroblasts induced by angiotensin II in neonatal rat.Bioengineered. 2017; 8: 14-20
- Tissue factor, protease activated receptors and pathologic heart remodelling.Thromb Haemost. 2014; 112: 893-900
- Low serum levels of MicroRNA-19 are associated with a stricturing crohn's disease phenotype.Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2015; 21: 1926-1934
- Ginsenoside Re preserves cardiac function and ameliorates left ventricular remodeling in a rat model of myocardial infarction.J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 2020; 75: 91-97
- Resiniferatoxin reduces ventricular arrhythmias in heart failure via selectively blunting cardiac sympathetic afferent projection into spinal cord in rats.Eur J Pharmacol. 2020; 867172836
- Effects of rosuvastatin and MiR-126 on myocardial injury induced by acute myocardial infarction in rats: role of vascular endothelial growth factor a (VEGF-A).Med Sci Monit. 2016; 22: 2324-2334
- Correction to: MicroRNA-325-3p protects the heart after myocardial infarction by inhibiting RIPK3 and programmed necrosis in mice.BMC Mol Biol. 2019; 20: 18
- Resident fibroblast lineages mediate pressure overload-induced cardiac fibrosis.J Clin Invest. 2014; 124: 2921-2934
- Connecting sex differences, estrogen signaling, and microRNAs in cardiac fibrosis.J Mol Med (Berl). 2019; 97: 1385-1398
- Oxidative stress-responsive MicroRNAs in heart injury.Int J Mol Sci. 2020; 21: 358
- CTGF/CCN2 is an autocrine regulator of cardiac fibrosis.J Mol Cell Cardiol. 2018; 121: 205-211
- Regulators of cardiac fibroblast cell state.Matrix Biol. 2020; 91-92: 117-135
- Selective HDAC8 inhibition attenuates isoproterenol-induced cardiac hypertrophy and fibrosis via p38 MAPK pathway.Front Pharmacol. 2021; 12677757
- Nobiletin ameliorates cardiac impairment and alleviates cardiac remodeling after acute myocardial infarction in rats via JNK regulation.Pharmacol Res Perspect. 2021; 9: e00728
Published online: December 16, 2022
Accepted: December 13, 2022
Received: October 1, 2021
© 2022 Southern Society for Clinical Investigation. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.