Malignant peritoneal mesothelioma (MPM) is a rare, life-threatening malignant tumor. We present a report of a rare case of a 67-year-old male patient with MPM and severe abdominal pain, bloating, and bloody ascites as manifestations. The diagnosis was confirmed by cytology of ascites aspiration fluid and further verified by laparoscopic exploratory biopsy. The characteristics of signs and clinical manifestations in this case are less common. As everyone knows, asbestos exposure is usually associated with pleural mesothelioma, but only 6%–10% of malignant mesothelioma cases originate from the peritoneum, which is far less than pleural mesothelioma. Generally, its non-specificity provides a huge challenge to medical professionals in its diagnosis, and this is also the main reason for delayed diagnosis. Patients should be vigilant, even though no clear risk factor is observed.
Key Indexing Terms
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of the Medical Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Peritoneal mesothelioma.Transl Lung Cancer Res. 2020; 9: S120-S132https://doi.org/10.21037/tlcr.2019.12.15
- Multicystic peritoneal mesothelioma: a systematic review of the literature.Pleura Peritoneum. 2019; 4 (Published 2019 Sep 25)20190024https://doi.org/10.1515/pp-2019-0024
- Diagnosis and management of patients with malignant peritoneal mesothelioma.J Gastrointest Oncol. 2016; 7: 79-86https://doi.org/10.3978/j.issn.2078-6891.2015.134
- Peritoneal metastases from malignant mesothelioma.Surg Oncol Clin N Am. 2018; 27: 539-549https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soc.2018.02.010
- Malignant peritoneal mesothelioma: a review.Transl Lung Cancer Res. 2018; 7: 537-542https://doi.org/10.21037/tlcr.2018.10.04
- Mesothelioma: scientific clues for prevention, diagnosis, and therapy [published correction appears in CA Cancer J Clin. 2020 Jul;70(4):313-314].CA Cancer J Clin. 2019; 69: 402-429https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.21572
- Malignant peritoneal mesothelioma: a rare cause of ascites.J Investig Med High Impact Case Rep. 2018; 6 (Published 2018 Oct 16)2324709618807506https://doi.org/10.1177/2324709618807506
- Malignant peritoneal mesothelioma in women: a study of 75 cases with emphasis on their morphologic spectrum and differential diagnosis.Am J Clin Pathol. 2005; 123: 724-737https://doi.org/10.1309/2h0n-vrer-pp2l-jdua
- Malignant peritoneal mesothelioma: a review.Ann Transl Med. 2017; 5: 236https://doi.org/10.21037/atm.2017.03.96
- Genomic profiling of malignant peritoneal mesothelioma reveals recurrent alterations in epigenetic regulatory genes BAP1, SETD2, and DDX3X.Mod Pathol. 2017; 30: 246-254https://doi.org/10.1038/modpathol.2016.188
- A subset of malignant mesotheliomas in young adults are associated with recurrent EWSR1/FUS-ATF1 fusions.Am J Surg Pathol. 2017; 41: 980-988https://doi.org/10.1097/PAS.0000000000000864
- Malignant abdominal mesothelioma: defining the role of surgery.J Surg Oncol. 2009; 99: 51-57https://doi.org/10.1002/jso.21167
- Peritoneal mesotheliomas: clinicopathologic features, CT findings, and differential diagnosis.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2008; 191: 814-825https://doi.org/10.2214/AJR.07.3628
- Combined diffusion-weighted and gadolinium-enhanced MRI can accurately predict the peritoneal cancer index preoperatively in patients being considered for cytoreductive surgical procedures.Ann Surg Oncol. 2012; 19: 1394-1401https://doi.org/10.1245/s10434-012-2236-3
- Mesothelioma in the United States: a Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER)-medicare investigation of treatment patterns and overall survival.Clin Epidemiol. 2016; 8 (Published 2016 Oct 26): 743-750https://doi.org/10.2147/CLEP.S105396
- A case of malignant peritoneal mesothelioma with the epithelioid histological type, successfully treated with pemetrexed plus cisplatin.Gan To Kagaku Ryoho. 2014; 41: 361-364
Published online: August 05, 2022
Accepted: July 22, 2022
Received: October 20, 2021
© 2022 Southern Society for Clinical Investigation. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.