The aim of this study was to analyze the relationship between sodium taurocholate cotransporting polypeptide (NTCP) gene varieties and hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection and the progress of HBV-related liver disease.
PubMed, EMBASE, Web of Science and Cochrane library were used to search eligible studies. STATA software was performed to combine results. Pooled odds ratios (OR) was used to assess the potential genetic relationships.
A total of 18 eligible case-control studies with 24960 cases and 28342 controls were included in this meta-analysis. The A allele of rs2296651 polymorphism was found to be significantly linked to a protection of HBV infection in the whole combined analysis (P = 0.000). Meanwhile, this allele was significantly associated with a decreased risk of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) (A vs. G: OR = 0.668, 95% CI: 0.571-0.782, P = 0.000), and was significantly associated with HBV nature clearance (A vs. G: OR = 0.744, 95% CI: 0.585-0.946, P = 0.016; AA+GA vs. GG: OR = 0.775, 95% CI: 0.613-0.980, P = 0.033; GA vs. GG: OR = 0.748, 95% CI: 0.588-0.952, P = 0.018). However, rs4646287 genetic varieties had no statistical differences in all models with HBV infection or HBV-related disease progress, liver cirrhosis, acute-on-chronic liver failure and HCC, as well as rs7154439, rs4646285, rs4646296.
Rs2296651 polymorphism (A allele) may protect from HBV infection and the progress of HBV-related disease (HBV-related HCC). Future research about other single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) (rs4646287, rs7154439, rs4646285, rs4646296) of NTCP may be needed to clarify the relationship of NTCP gene varieties with HBV infection and HBV-related disease.
Key Indexing Terms
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of the Medical Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Epidemiology of hepatitis B and the role of vaccination.Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol. 2017; 31: 239-247
- Hepatitis B virus and primary hepatocellular carcinoma: family studies in Korea.Int J Cancer. 1982; 30: 47-51
- Hepatitis B virus markers in Chinese twins.Anticancer Res. 1989; 9: 737-741
- The functional role of sodium taurocholate cotransporting polypeptide NTCP in the life cycle of hepatitis B, C and D viruses.Cell Mol Life Sci. 2018; : 3895-3905
- Sodium taurocholate cotransporting polypeptide is a functional receptor for human hepatitis B and D virus.eLife. 2012; 3
- Association of the gene polymorphisms in sodium taurocholate cotransporting polypeptide with the outcomes of hepatitis B infection in Chinese Han population.Infect, Genet Evol. 2014; 27: 77-82
- The p.Ser267Phe variant in SLC10A1 is associated with resistance to chronic hepatitis B.Hepatology (Baltimore, Md). 2015; 61: 1251-1260
- Diverse effects of the NTCP p.Ser267Phe variant on disease progression during chronic HBV infection and on HBV preS1 variability.BMC Med Genet. 2019; 9: 18
- The rs2296651 (S267F) variant on NTCP (SLC10A1) is inversely associated with chronic hepatitis B and progression to cirrhosis and hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with chronic hepatitis B.Gut. 2016; 65: 1514-1521
- Genetic variations of NTCP are associated with susceptibility to HBV infection and related hepatocellular carcinoma.Oncotarget. 2017; 8: 105407-105424
- Effect of S267F variant of NTCP on the patients with chronic hepatitis B.Sci Rep. 2017; 7: 17634
- Association of genetic variation of CIITA and NTCP with chronic hepatitis B virus infection in Han Chinese populations.Hepatitis Mon. 2017; 17
- Hepatitis B virus infection in Taiwan: the role of NTCP rs2296651 variant in relation to sex.J Viral Hepat. 2018; 25: 1116-1120
- The loss-of-function S267F variant in HBV receptor NTCP reduces human risk for HBV infection and disease progression.J Infect Dis. 2018; 218: 1404-1410
- Genetic variants in NTCP exon gene are associated with HBV infection status in a Chinese Han population.Hepatol Res. 2018; 48: 364-372
- Association of NTCP polymorphisms with clinical outcome of hepatitis B infection in Thai individuals.BMC Med Genet. 2019; 20: 87
- SLC10A1 S267F variant influences susceptibility to HBV infection and reduces cholesterol level by impairing bile acid uptake.J Viral Hepat. 2019; 26: 1178-1185
- Association of genetic variation of sodium taurocholate cotransporting polypeptide with chronic hepatitis B virus infection.Genet Test Mol Biomarkers. 2014; 18: 425-429
- A genetic variant of the NTCP gene is associated with HBV infection status in a Chinese population.BMC Cancer. 2016; 16: 211
- Polymorphisms in sodium taurocholate cotransporting polypeptide are not associated with hepatitis B virus clearance in Chinese Tibetans and Uygurs.Infect, Genet Evol. 2016; 41: 128-134
- Lack of Ser267Phe variant of sodium taurocholate cotransporting polypeptide among Moroccans regardless of hepatitis B virus infection status.BMC Infect Dis. 2017; 17: 99
- Comprehensive assessment showed no associations of variants at the SLC10A1 locus with susceptibility to persistent HBV infection among Southern Chinese.Sci Rep. 2017; 7: 46490
- Genetic variants in the regulatory region of SLC10A1 are not associated with the risk of hepatitis B virus infection and clearance.Infect, Genet Evol. 2016; 44: 495-500
- Association of NTCP gene polymorphisms and spontaneous clearance of hepatitis B virus in Asia: a meta-analysis.Hepatitis Mon. 2019; 19
Wells GA, Shea B, O'Connell D, et al. The Newcastle-Ottawa Scale (NOS) for Assessing the Quality of Nonrandomised Studies in Meta-Analyses. Ottawa Ottawa Hosp Res Inst [Internet]. 2012; Available from: http://www.ohri.ca/programs/clinical_epidemiology/oxford.htm.
- NTCP opens the door for hepatitis B virus infection.Antiviral Res. 2015; 121: 24-30
- Viral entry of hepatitis B and D viruses and bile salts transportation share common molecular determinants on sodium taurocholate cotransporting polypeptide.J Virol. 2014; 88: 3273-3284
- Down-regulation of cell membrane localized NTCP expression in proliferating hepatocytes prevents hepatitis B virus infection.Emerg Microbes Infect. 2019; 8: 879-894
Published online: April 06, 2022
Accepted: March 7, 2022
Received: August 16, 2020
© 2022 Southern Society for Clinical Investigation. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.