The association between uric acid and N-Terminal Pro-B-Type Natriuretic Peptide (NT-proBNP) in patients with unstable angina pectoris (UAP) is unclear.
We recruited 260 patients with UAP admitted to the first affiliated Hospital of Guangxi Medical University from February 2018 to August 2018. According to the level of uric acid, patients were divided into 4 groups (Q1 = 48.00-305.00 μmol/L; Q2 = 310.00-405.00 μmol/L; Q3 = 408.00-513.00 μmol/L; Q4 = 514.00-4330.00 μmol/L). The differences of NT-proBNP between groups and the relationship with cardiac function were compared.
The average age of the 260 patients enrolled was 75.04 years. The NT-proBNP of the 4 groups showed an increasing trend, and there were significant differences between the 4 groups (<0.001). On the other hand, with the increase of cardiac function (New York Heart Association), the levels of NT-proBNP and uric acid also showed an upward trend (all P < 0.05). Pearson correlation analysis showed that there was a positive correlation between uric acid log10 transform and NT-proBNP log10 transform (r = 0.272, P < 0.001). After adjusting the potential confounding factors, elevated uric acid was still significantly related to the increase of NT-proBNP (Q2 versus [vs.] Q1: OR = 469.64, 95%CI −1396.77 to 2336.05; Q3 vs. Q1: OR = 1166.53, 95%CI −726.12 to 3059.18; Q4 vs. Q1: OR = 3204.78, 95%CI 1240.86-5168.70). In subgroup analysis, the relationship between uric acid and NT-proBNP was significant in males, but no difference was observed in females.
In male patients with UAP, elevated uric acid is related to the increase of NT-proBNP, but this phenomenon is not obvious in female patients.
Key Indexing Terms
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of the Medical Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Biomarkers of cardiovascular disease.Circulation. 2017; 2017: 2335-2362
- Evolocumab and clinical outcomes in patients with cardiovascular disease.N Engl J Med. 2017; 376: 1713-1722
- Georgousopoulou, et al. J-shaped relationship between habitual coffee consumption and 10-year (2002–2012) cardiovascular disease incidence: the ATTICA study.Am J Hypertens. 2018; 57: 1677-1685
- The technical report on sodium intake and cardiovascular disease in low-and middle-income countries by the joint working group of the World Heart Federation, the European Society of Hypertension and the European Public Health Association.Eur Heart J. 2017; 38: 712-719
- Antioxidant effect of nondigestible levan and its impact on cardiovascular disease and atherosclerosis.Int J Biol Macromol. 2013; 58: 281-286
- Cellular aging reflected by leukocyte telomere length predicts advanced atherosclerosis and cardiovascular disease risk.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2010; 30: 1649-1656
- Associations of SNPs in ADIPOQ and subclinical cardiovascular disease in the multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis (MESA).Obesity. 2012; 19: 840-847
- Association between DNA methylation and coronary heart disease or other atherosclerotic events: a systematic review.Atherosclerosis. 2017; 263: 325-333
- Long-term prognosis associated with early repolarisation pattern in Chinese population with atherosclerotic risk factors.Heart. 2017; 103: 910-916
- Microfluidic assay of circulating endothelial cells in coronary artery disease patients with angina pectoris.PLoS One. 2017; 12e0181249
- Association between bariatric surgery and rate of hospitalisations for stable angina pectoris in obese adults.Heart. 2017; 103: 1009-1014
- Polymorphisms of the tumour necrosis factor-alpha gene, coronary heart disease and obesity.Eur J Clin Invest. 2015; 28: 59-66
- Resting heart rate in patients with stable coronary artery disease and diabetes: a report from the Euro Heart Survey on Diabetes and the Heart.Eur Heart J. 2010; 31: 3040-3045
- Is knowledge level of coronary heart disease and risk factors among post–percutaneous coronary intervention patients adequate?.J Cardiovasc Nurs. 2016; 31: E1-E9
- Association of serum uric acid and coronary artery disease in premenopausal women.PLoS One. 2014; 9e106130
- Uric acid and cardiovascular disease risk reclassification: findings from NHANES III[J].Eur J Prev Cardiol. 2015; 22: 513-518
- N-terminal pro-B-type natriuretic peptide: an independent marker for coronary artery disease in asymptomatic diabetic patients.Diabet Med. 2010; 26: 872-879
- N-Terminal Pro-B-Type natriuretic peptide and inducible ischemia in the heart and soul study.Clin Cardiol. 2010; 32: 447-453
- N-terminal pro-B-type natriuretic peptide and its relationship with cardiac function in adults with congenital heart disease.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013; 62: 1203-1212
- Soluble fms-like tyrosine kinase-1 and atherosclerosis in chronic kidney disease.Kidney Int. 2014; 85: 238-240
- Scutellarin protects against vascular endothelial dysfunction and prevents atherosclerosis via antioxidation.Phytomedicine. 2018; 42: 66-74
- Deferoxamine promotes angiogenesis via the activation of vascular endothelial cell function.Atherosclerosis. 2011; 215: 339-347
- Vascular endothelial responses to altered shear stress: pathologic implications for atherosclerosis.Ann Med. 2009; 41: 19
- Protection of midbrain dopaminergic neurons by the end‐product of purine metabolism uric acid: potentiation by low‐level depolarization.J Neurochem. 2010; 109: 1118-1128
- Replication of the five novel loci for uric acid concentrations and potential mediating mechanisms.Hum Mol Genet. 2010; 19: 387-395
- Uric acid and coronary artery disease: an elusive link deserving further attention.Int J Cardiol. 2016; 213: 28-32
- Hypouricemia and hyperuricemia in type 2 diabetes: two different phenotypes.Eur J Clin Invest. 2015; 31: 318-321
- Hyperuricemia and risk of incident hypertension: a systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies.PLoS One. 2014; 9e114259
- Elevated serum uric acid levels are associated with endothelial dysfunction in HIV patients receiving highly-active antiretroviral therapy.Atherosclerosis. 2018; 272: 101-107
- Weight loss and sleep-disordered breathing in childhood obesity: effects on inflammation and uric acid.Obesity. 2012; 20: 172-177
- Associations of serum uric acid with markers of inflammation, metabolic syndrome, and subclinical coronary atherosclerosis.Am J Hypertens. 2007; 20: 83-89
- The xanthine oxidase inhibitor Febuxostat reduces tissue uric acid content and inhibits injury-induced inflammation in the liver and lung.Eur J Pharmacol. 2015; 746: 174-179
- Uric acid, renal vasoconstriction and erythropoietin relationship in IgA nephropathy revealed by dopamine-induced glomerular filtration response.Kidney Blood Press Res. 2011; 35: 161-166
- The role of uric acid in the pathogenesis of human cardiovascular disease.Heart. 2013; 99: 759-766
- Uric acid puzzle: dual role as anti-oxidantand pro-oxidant.Electrolyte Blood Press. 2014; 12: 1-6
- Can allopurinol improve retinopathy in diabetic rats? Oxidative stress or uric acid; which one is the culprit?.Res Pharm Sci. 2017; 12: 401-408
- Combination of uric acid and NT-ProBNP: a more useful prognostic marker for short-term clinical outcomes in patients with acute heart failure.Korean J Intern Med. 2010; 25: 253-259
- Soluble neuroprotective antioxidant uric acid analogs ameliorate ischemic brain injury in mice.NeuroMol Med. 2007; 9: 315-323
- Uric acid and high-residual platelet reactivity in patients treated with clopidogrel or ticagrelor.Nutr Metab Cardiovas Dis. 2016; 26: 352-358
Published online: April 10, 2020
Accepted: April 2, 2020
Received: December 24, 2019
Conflict of Interest: There are no conflicts of interest.
© 2020 Southern Society for Clinical Investigation. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.