Numerous studies have demonstrated that patients with non-O blood groups have a higher risk for venous thromboembolism than those with the O blood group. However, the effect of ABO blood groups on warfarin dose requirements in patients receiving anticoagulation in the Chinese Han population remains unknown. This study aimed to investigate the influence of ABO blood groups on warfarin dose requirements in a Chinese Han population.
Material and Methods
A retrospective study was conducted in the First Affiliated Hospital of Shantou University Medical College in South China. Three hundred and fifty-eight patients with a confirmed diagnosis of deep vein thrombosis or atrial fibrillation were included. The frequency of blood groups and warfarin dose requirements were determined.
Of 358 patients with deep vein thrombosis or atrial fibrillation, 111 patients had blood group A (31.01%), 104 patients had blood group B (29.05%), 20 patients had blood group AB (5.59%) and 123 patients had blood group O (34.36%). The patients in the O blood group had lower warfarin dose requirements than those in the A, B and AB blood groups.
Our study showed that patients with non-O blood groups require higher doses of warfarin.
Key Indexing Terms
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of the Medical Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The story of the discovery of heparin and warfarin.Br J Haematol. 2008; 141: 757-763
- Warfarin: almost 60 years old and still causing problems.Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2006; 62: 509-511
- Emergency hospitalizations for adverse drug events in older Americans.N Engl J Med. 2011; 365: 2002-2012
- The international normalized ratio. A guide to understanding and correcting its problems.Arch Intern Med. 1994; 154: 282-288
- EU-PACT Group. A randomized trial of genotype-guided dosing of warfarin.N Engl J Med. 2013; 369: 2294-2303
- Factors affecting quality of anticoagulation control among patients with atrial fibrillation on warfarin: the SAMe-TT2R2 score.Chest. 2013; 144: 1555-1563
- Use of pharmacogenetic and clinical factors to predict the therapeutic dose of warfarin.Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2008; 84: 326-331
- Contribution of age, body size, and CYP2C9 genotype to anticoagulant response to warfarin.Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2004; 75: 204-212
- The impact of CYP2C9 and VKORC1 genetic polymorphism and patient characteristics upon warfarin dose requirements: proposal for a new dosing regimen.Blood. 2005; 106: 2329-2333
- Contribution of age, body weight, and CYP2C9 and VKORC1 genotype to the anticoagulant response to warfarin: proposal for a new dosing regimen in Chinese patients.Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 2007; 63: 1135-1141
- Factors influencing warfarin response in hospitalized patients.Saudi Pharm J. 2015; 23: 642-649
- ABO blood groups and thrombosis: a causal association, but is there value in screening?.Future Cardiol. 2011; 7: 191-201
- ABO(H) blood groups and vascular disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Thromb Haemost. 2008; 6: 62-69
- ABO blood groups and risk of deep venous thromboembolism in Chinese Han population from Chaoshan region in South China.Saudi Med J. 2017; 38: 396-399
- Oral anticoagulants for preventing stroke in patients with non-valvular atrial fibrillation and no previous history of stroke or transient ischemic attacks.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2005; CD001927
- Effect of left ventricular systolic dysfunction on response to warfarin.Am J Cardiol. 2016; 118: 232-236
- Comparison in anesthetic effects of propofol among patients with different ABO blood groups.Medicine (Baltimore). 2017; 96: e5616
- Factor VIII and factor IX in a twin population. Evidence for a major effect of ABO locus on factor VIII level.Am J Hum Genet. 1985; 37: 89-101
- The effect of ABO blood group on the diagnosis of von Willebrand disease.Blood. 1987; 69: 1691-1695
- Functional effects of the ABO locus polymorphism on plasma levels of von Willebrand factor, factor VIII, and activated partial thromboplastin time.Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2000; 20: 2024-2028
- ABO blood group, other risk factors and incidence of venous thromboembolism: the Longitudinal Investigation of Thromboembolism Etiology (LITE).J Thromb Haemost. 2007; 5: 1455-1461
- ABO blood group determines plasma von Willebrand factor levels: a biologic function after all?.Transfusion. 2006; 46: 1836-1844
- Role of clotting factor VIII in effect of von Willebrand factor on occurrence of deep-vein thrombosis.Lancet. 1995; 345: 152-155
- The effects of obstructive jaundice on perioperative function in the patients of different ABO blood group.Inner Mongolia Med J. 2013; 45: 257-260
Published online: April 10, 2020
Accepted: March 30, 2020
Received: October 19, 2019
There is no grant support.
Conflict of Interest: There are no conflicts of interest.
© 2020 Southern Society for Clinical Investigation. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.