Gastric emptying (GE) of solids is delayed and autonomic dysfunction is detected in autoimmune gastritis (AIG). The goals of this study were to: (1) compare serum levels of ghrelin and motilin in subjects with delayed and normal GE and (2) investigate whether circulating antimyenteric antibodies (CAA), serum ghrelin levels and motilin levels have any effect on autonomic function.
Materials and Methods
Noninvasive cardiovascular reflex tests were used in order to evaluate the autonomic function. GE was evaluated by a standard 2-hour scintigraphic test. Serum ghrelin and motilin levels were tested by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay and CAA were tested by immunofluorescence.
The serum ghrelin and motilin levels in the patients with delayed GE (n = 22) were significantly decreased compared to the normal GE patients (n = 19), (67.55 ± 8.81 versus 126.79 ± 25.81 pg/mL, P < 0.001 and 279.59 ± 111.12 versus 500.42 ± 155.95 pg/mL, respectively, P < 0.001). Whereas, the serum ghrelin and motilin levels in the patients with deranged autonomic function (n = 26) were significantly decreased compared to the patients with normal autonomic function (n = 15), (80.73 ± 28.46 versus 127.79 ± 28.06 pg/mL, P < 0.001 and 316.92 ± 160.47 versus 490.20 ± 141.02 pg/mL, P < 0.001, respectively). None of the patients were positive for CAA.
Ghrelin and motilin levels in AIG subjects with delayed GE and deranged autonomic function were significantly decreased. The decrease in serum ghrelin and plasma motilin levels in AIG suggest their potential role in the delayed GE observed in these subjects.
Key Indexing Terms
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of the Medical Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Autoimmune atrophic gastritis—pathogenesis, pathology and management.Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2013; 10: 529-541
- Clinical profiles, endoscopic and laboratory features and associated factors in patients with autoimmune gastritis.Digestion. 2012; 86: 20-26
- Assessment of gastric emptying in patients with autoimmune gastritis.Dig Dis Sci. 2016; 61: 1597-1602
- Relationships between autonomic nerve function and gastric emptying in patients with autoimmune gastritis.Clin Auton Res. 2016; 26: 189-196
- Ghrelin and motilin receptors as drug targets for gastrointestinal disorders.Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2016; 13: 38-48
- Circulating antimyenteric autoantibodies in Tunisian patients with idiopathic achalasia.Dis Esophagus. 2013; 26: 782-787
- Autoimmune gastritis: pathologist’s viewpoint.World J Gastroenterol. 2015; 21: 12179-12189
- Cardiovascular autonomic dysfunction in systemic lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, primary Sjögren syndrome and other autoimmune diseases.Lupus. 2007; 16: 181-185
- Autonomic nervous symptoms in primary Sjogren’s syndrome.Rheumatology. 2008; 47: 914-919
- Diagnosis and management of diabetic autonomic neuropathy.Br Med J. 1982; 285: 916-918
- Efficacy and safety of cinitapride in the treatment of mild to moderate postprandial distress syndrome-predominant functional dyspepsia.J Clin Gastroenterol. 2014; 48: 328-335
- Histamine mediates the stimulatory action of ghrelin on acid secretion in rat stomach.Dig Dis Sci. 2006; 56: 1313-1321
- Circulating acylated ghrelin level decreases in accordance with the extent of atrophic gastritis.J Gastroenterol. 2009; 44: 1046-1054
- Decrease of serum total ghrelin in extensive atrophic gastritis: comparison with pepsinogens in histological reference.Scand J Gastroenterol. 2016; 51: 137-144
- Review of autoimmune metaplastic atrophic gastritis.Gastrointest Endosc. 2013; 77: 284-292
- Ghrelin enhances gastric emptying in diabetic gastroparesis: a double blind, placebo controlled, crossover study.Gut. 2005; 54: 1693-1698
- Actions and therapeutic pathways of ghrelin for gastrointestinal disorders.Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2009; 6: 343-352
- Plasma ghrelin concentrations in type 1 diabetic patients with autoimmune atrophic gastritis.Eur J Endocrinol. 2007; 157: 763-769
- Serum ghrelin as a marker of atrophic body gastritis in patients with parietal cell antibodies.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2007; 92: 4346-4351
- No ghrelin response to oral glucose in diabetes mellitus with gastroparesis.Endocr J. 2009; 56: 79-87
- Gastrin mediated down regulation of ghrelin and its pathophysiological role in atrophic gastritis.J Physiol Pharmacol. 2013; 64: 719-725
- Motilin and clinical application.Peptides. 1997; 18: 593-608
- Release of motilin after duodenal acidification.Lancet. 1976; 1: 888-889
- Sphincter of Oddi hypomotility and its relationship with duodenal-biliary reflux, plasma motilin and serum gastrin.World J Gastroenterol. 2008; 14: 4077-4081
- The pharmacodynamics, safety and pharmacokinetics of single doses of the motilin agonist, camicinal, in type 1 diabetes mellitus with slow gastric emptying.Br J Pharmacol. 2016; 173: 1768-1777
- Delayed gastric emptying in Parkinson′s disease.Mov Disord. 2014; 29: 23-32
- Gastric emptying of solid food in normal man and after subtotal gastrectomy and truncal vagotomy with pyloroplasty.Gastroenterology. 1977; 72: 206-211
Accepted: December 5, 2017
Received: July 4, 2017
☆The authors have no conflicts of interest to disclose.
☆☆Source of Funding: This study was supported by a Grant from Ankara University Scientific Research Project Council (Grant no. 16B0230003).
© 2018 Southern Society for Clinical Investigation. Published by All rights reserved.