Pulmonary hypertension is more frequently being identified across all ages. Idiopathic pulmonary arterial hypertension (IPAH, previously identified as primary pulmonary hypertension) was originally characterized as a disease of younger adults, more frequently women, and associated with a dismal outcome. These patients were usually not encumbered by chronic illnesses (excepting those with connective tissue diseases). Patients with other forms of pulmonary hypertension were generally older with heart, lung, or other diseases thought to cause pulmonary hypertension (PH, previously identified as secondary pulmonary hypertension).
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of the Medical Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The changing landscape of pulmonary arterial hypertension and implications for patient care.Eur Respir Rev. 2014; 23: 450-457
- A global view of pulmonary hypertension.Lancet Respir Med. 2016; 4: 306-322
- Elderly patients diagnosed with idiopathic pulmonary arterial hypertension: results from the COMPERA registry.Int J Cardiol. 2013; 168: 871-880
- Pulmonary vascular diseases in the elderly.Clin Geriatr Med. 2017; 33: 553-562
- Epidemiology and treatment of pulmonary arterial hypertension.Nat Rev Cardiol. 2017; 14: 603-614
- Causes of pulmonary hypertension in the elderly.Chest. 2014; 146: 159-166
- Pulmonary hypertension in the elderly: a different disease?.Breathe (Sheff). 2016; 12: 43-49
- Comorbid conditions and outcomes in patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension: a REVEAL registry analysis.Chest. 2013; 144: 169-176
- The Complexity of Characteristics, Diagnoses and Treatment of Older Patients With Pulmonary Hypertension.Am J Med Sci. 2018; 355: 13-20
- Pulmonary hypertension in heart failure with preserved ejection fraction: a plea for proper phenotyping and further research.Eur Heart J. 2017; 38: 2869-2873
- A critical appraisal of transpulmonary and diastolic pressure gradients.Physiol Rep. 2016; 4
- Effect of age on phenotype and outcomes in pulmonary arterial hypertension trials.Chest. 2016; 149: 1234-1244
- AMBITION Investigators. Initial use of ambrisentan plus tadalafil in pulmonary arterial hypertension.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 834-844
All rights reserved.