Growing evidence suggest that macrophage migration inhibitory factor (MIF) plays a vital role in glucose metabolism. We aimed to ascertain whether MIF levels are altered in subjects with prediabetes and also to determine the relationship between MIF and metabolic parameters as well as visceral fat mass.
Material and Methods
This cross-sectional study included 40 subjects with prediabetes and 40 age-, body mass index (BMI)- and sex-matched subjects with normal glucose tolerance. Circulating MIF levels were measured using enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay. Metabolic parameters of recruited subjects were evaluated. Visceral fat mass was measured using bioelectrical impedance method.
Circulating MIF levels were found to be elevated in subjects with prediabetes compared to controls (26.46 ± 16.98 versus 17.44 ± 11.80 ng/mL, P = 0.007). MIF positively correlated with BMI, visceral fat mass and indirect indices of homeostasis model assessment of insulin resistance. In linear regression model, an independent association was found between MIF levels and metabolic parameters, including BMI, visceral fat mass and homeostasis model assessment of insulin resistance. Multivariate logistic regression analyses revealed that the odds ratio for prediabetes was higher in subjects in the highest quartile of MIF compared to those in the lowest quartile, after adjusting for potential confounders.
Increased MIF levels are associated with the elevation of prediabetic risk.
Key Indexing Terms
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of the Medical Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Standards of medical care in diabetes—2011.Diabetes Care [Internet]. 2011; 34 (Available from: http://care.diabetesjournals.org/cgi/doi/10.2337/dc11-S011): S11-S61
- Successful treatment of prediabetes in clinical practice: targeting insulin resistance and β-cell dysfunction.Endocr Pract [Internet]. 2012; 18 (Available from:): 342-350
- Subclinical inflammation is strongly related to insulin resistance but not to impaired insulin secretion in a high risk population for diabetes.Metabolism [Internet]. 2002; 51 (Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12037728): 743-749
- Subclinical inflammation in newly detected type II diabetes and impaired glucose tolerance.Diabetologia [Internet]. 2002; 45 (Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11845235): 151
- Serum levels of tumor necrosis factor-alpha are increased in obese patients with noninsulin-dependent diabetes mellitus.J Clin Endocrinol Metab [Internet]. 1998; 83 (Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9506740): 859-862
- Inflammation, stress, and diabetes.J Clin Invest [Internet]. 2005; 115 (Available from: http://www.jci.org/cgi/doi/10.1172/JCI200525102): 1111-1119
- Adipose expression of tumor necrosis factor-alpha: direct role in obesity-linked insulin resistance.Science [Internet]. 1993; 259 (Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7678183): 87-91
- Inflammation and activated innate immunity in the pathogenesis of type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Care [Internet]. 2004; 27 (Available from: http://care.diabetesjournals.org/cgi/doi/10.2337/diacare.27.3.813): 813-823
- Macrophage migration inhibitory factor (MIF): mechanisms of action and role in disease.Microbes Infect [Internet]. 2002; 4 (Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11932196): 449-460
- Macrophage migration inhibitory factor in cardiovascular disease.Circulation [Internet]. 2008; 117 (Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18362243): 1594-1602
- Macrophage migration inhibitory factor stimulates AMP-activated protein kinase in the ischaemic heart.Nature [Internet]. 2008; 451 (Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18235500): 578-582
- MIF: a new cytokine link between rheumatoid arthritis and atherosclerosis.Nat Rev Drug Discov [Internet]. 2006; 5 (Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16628200): 399-410
- MIF deficiency reduces chronic inflammation in white adipose tissue and impairs the development of insulin resistance, glucose intolerance, and associated atherosclerotic disease.Circ Res [Internet]. 2009; 105 (Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19478200): 99-107
- Expression of macrophage migration inhibitory factor in different stages of human atherosclerosis.Circulation [Internet]. 2002; 105 (Available from: http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/doi/10.1161/01.CIR.0000012942.49244.82): 1561-1566
- Insulin secretion is regulated by the glucose-dependent production of islet beta cell macrophage migration inhibitory factor.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A [Internet]. 1997; 94 (Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9114069): 4782-4787
- Increased plasma concentration of macrophage migration inhibitory factor (MIF) and MIF mRNA in mononuclear cells in the obese and the suppressive action of metformin.J Clin Endocrinol Metab [Internet]. 2004; 89 (Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15472203): 5043-5047
- Circulating mononuclear cells in the obese are in a proinflammatory state.Circulation [Internet]. 2004; 110 (Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15364812): 1564-1571
- Association of systemic concentrations of macrophage migration inhibitory factor with impaired glucose tolerance and type 2 Diabetes: results from the cooperative health research in the region of Augsburg, survey 4 (KORA S4).Diabetes Care [Internet]. 2006; 29 (Available from: http://care.diabetesjournals.org/cgi/doi/10.2337/diacare.29.02.06.dc05-1474): 368-371
- Obesity, macrophage migration inhibitory factor, and weight loss.Int J Obes (Lond) [Internet]. 2005; 29 (Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15795748): 675-681
- Homeostasis model assessment: insulin resistance and beta-cell function from fasting plasma glucose and insulin concentrations in man.Diabetologia [Internet]. 1985; 28 ([cited 2014 Jul 13] Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3899825): 412-419
- The proinflammatory mediator macrophage migration inhibitory factor induces glucose catabolism in muscle.J Clin Invest [Internet]. 2000; 106 (Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11086030): 1291-1300
- Elevated serum content of macrophage migration inhibitory factor in patients with type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Care [Internet]. 2000; 23 (Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10868843): 256-258
- Macrophage migration inhibitory factor deficiency protects pancreatic islets from cytokine-induced apoptosis in vitro.Clin Exp Immunol [Internet]. 2012; 169 (Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22774990): 156-163
- Macrophage migration inhibitory factor (MIF) enhances palmitic acid- and glucose-induced murine beta cell dysfunction and destruction in vitro.Growth Factors [Internet]. 2012; 30 (Available from: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.3109/08977194.2012.734506): 385-393
- Role of macrophage migration inhibitory factor in obesity, insulin resistance, type 2 diabetes, and associated hepatic co-morbidities: a comprehensive review of human and rodent studies.Front Immunol [Internet]. 2015; 6 (Available from: http://journal.frontiersin.org/Article/10.3389/fimmu.2015.00308/abstract)
- Chronic systemic inflammation in overweight and obese adults.J Am Med Assoc [Internet]. 2000; 283 (author reply 2236. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10807374): 2235
- Adipose tissue as an endocrine organ.J Clin Endocrinol Metab [Internet]. 89. 2004: 2548-2556 (Available from: https://academic.oup.com/jcem/article-lookup/doi/10.1210/jc.2004-0395)
- Inflammatory mediators and islet beta-cell failure: a link between type 1 and type 2 diabetes.J Mol Med (Berl) [Internet]. 2003; 81 (Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12879149): 455-470
- Type 2 diabetes: when insulin secretion fails to compensate for insulin resistance.Cell [Internet]. 1998; 92 (Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9506512): 593-596
- Type 2 diabetes as an inflammatory disease.Nat Rev Immunol [Internet]. 2011; 11 (Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21233852): 98-107
- MIF: a new cytokine link between rheumatoid arthritis and atherosclerosis.Nat Rev Drug Discov [Internet]. 2006; 5 (Available from: http://www.nature.com/doifinder/10.1038/nrd2029): 399-411
Published online: November 14, 2017
Accepted: October 24, 2017
Received: March 14, 2017
☆The authors have no financial or other conflicts of interest to disclose.
© 2017 Southern Society for Clinical Investigation. Published by All rights reserved.