Congenital descending aorta-pulmonary vein fistula (cDAPVF) is a very rare congenital fistula between the descending aorta and the pulmonary vein. In this article, we present a young male patient who was admitted to our department with hemoptysis. A contrast-enhanced computed tomography (CT) scan confirmed the diagnosis, and the patient underwent surgical ligation of the abnormal artery. To our knowledge, less than 10 cases have been previously reported, and this is the second case in the literature of cDAPVF causing hemoptysis in an adult.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of the Medical Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Aorta-to-pulmonary vein fistula in an asymptomatic 25-year-old man.Circulation. 2013; 127: 1727-1729
- An occult congenital fistula between the descending aorta and the left pulmonary vein in an adult presenting with recurrent episodes of hemoptysis.Chest. 2013; 143: 549-553
- Congenital anomalous/aberrant systemic artery to pulmonary venous fistula: closure with vascular plugs & coil embolization.Indian Heart J. 2014; 66: 95-103
- Evaluation of pulmonary sequestration with multidetector computed tomography angiography in a select cohort of patients: a retrospective study.Clinics (Sao Paulo). 2016; 71: 392-398
- Anomalous systemic arterial supply to normal basal segments of the left lower lobe.Ann Thorac Surg. 1999; 68: 332-338
- Anomalous systemic arterial supply to normal basal segments of left lower lobe: characteristic imaging findings.J Comput Assist Tomogr. 2001; 25: 764-769
- A rare case of congenital anomalous/aberrant systemic artery to pulmonary venous fistula in a 4-month-old child with co-existent mitral valve prolapse and mitral regurgitation.BMJ Case Rep. 2015; 2015
Published online: April 14, 2017
Accepted: February 20, 2017
Received in revised form: January 25, 2017
Received: December 14, 2016
☆The authors have no conflicts of interest to disclose.
☆☆This work was supported by the Science and Technology Project of Zhejiang Province (2016147426).
© 2017 Southern Society for Clinical Investigation. Published by All rights reserved.