Type 3 polyendocrine autoimmune syndrome (PAS) is defined as the association between an autoimmune thyroid disease and 1 or more other autoimmune diseases, except for autoimmune Addison disease or hypoparathyroidism. Here we report an extremely rare case of type 3 PAS in which vitiligo vulgaris and symptomless autoimmune hypothyroidism were observed during the study of primary hyperaldosteronism.
KEY INDEXING TERMS
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of the Medical Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Primary hyperaldosteronism-evaluation of procedures for diagnosis and localization.Q J Med. 1993; 86: 383-392
- Autoimmune adrenal insufficiency and autoimmune polyendocrine syndromes: autoantibodies, autoantigens, and their applicability in diagnosis and disease prediction.Endocrine Reviews. 2002; 23: 327-364
- Autoimmune polyglandular syndromes.Pediatr Ann. 1980; 9: 154-162
- Polyglandular autoimmune diseases.in: Pinchera A. Doniach D. Fenzi G.F. Baschieri L. Symposium on autoimmune aspects on endocrine disorders. Academic Press, New York1980: 357-365
- Two types of autoimmune Addison’s disease associated with different polyglandular (PGA) syndromes.Medicine (Baltimore). 1981; 60: 355-362
- A patient with concurrent primary hyperaldosteronism and adrenal insufficiency.Am J Med Sci. 2004; 32886: 344-347
- Combined primary aldosteronism and Cushing’s syndrome due to a single adrenocortical adenoma complicated by Hashimoto’s thyroiditis.Intern Med. 2003; 41: 911
- Primary aldosteronism in type 1 diabetes mellitus.South Med J. 2004; 97: 1138
- Primary hyperparathyroidism associated with primary hyperaldosteronism.Acta Endocrinol (Copenh). 1983; 103: 365-370
- A case of primary hyperparathyroidism, primary hyperaldosteronism and Cushing’s disease.Acta Endocrinol (Copenh). 1984; 107: 371-374
- Calcium metabolism in early chronic renal failure.Nephrol Dial Transplant. 1991; 6: 162-169
Accepted: August 30, 2006
Received: August 1, 2006
© 2007 Southern Society for Clinical Investigation. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.