Development of iatrogenic Cushing syndrome from topical steroid therapy is very rare in adults. A 48-year-old woman with a diagnosis of Cushing syndrome caused by long-term topical clobetasol propionate application was presented. Laboratory studies were consistent with adrenal suppression that improved after discontinuation of the use of topical glucocorticoids. Patients who will take treatment with steroids, even with topical steroids, should be offered information about the dose, duration, and type of the treatment and its systemic side-effects.
KEY INDEXING TERMS
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of the Medical Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Exogenous Cushing’s syndrome and glucocorticoid withdrawal.Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am. 2005; 34: 371-384
- Cushing’s syndrome caused by topical steroid therapy for psoriasis.Neth J Med. 2002; 60: 148-150
- Cushing’s syndrome after intra-articular and intradermal administration of triamcinolone acetonide in three pediatric patients.Pediatrics. 2004; 113: 1820-1824
- Adrenal insufficiency from inhaled corticosteroids.Ann Intern Med. 2004; 140: 27
- An infantile Cushing syndrome due to misuse of topical steroid.Pediatr Dermatol. 2004; 21: 561-563
- Fatal disseminated cytomegalovirus infection in an infant with Cushing’s syndrome caused by topical steroid.Horm Res. 2005; 64: 35-38
- Cushing syndrome secondary to topical glucocorticoids.Dermatol Online J. 2003; 9: 16
- Cushing’s syndrome secondary to topical corticosteroids abuse.Clin Endocrinol. 2003; 58: 795-796
- Adverse effects of topical glucocorticoids.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2006; 54: 1-15
- Cushing syndrome following the prescription of antifungal, antibiotic, corticosteroid cream.Int J Dermatol. 2003; 42: 318
- Cushing’s syndrome from topical glucocorticoids.West Indian Med J. 1993; 42: 77-78
- Unrecognised Cushing’s syndrome and adrenal suppression due to topical clobetasol propionate.Br J Clin Pract. 1991; 45: 61-62
- Adverse systemic effects of TCS.in: Maibach H.I. Surber C. TCS. Karger, Basel1992: 163-169
- Rapidly developing Cushing’s syndrome in a 4-year-old patient during combined treatment with itraconazole and inhaled budesonide.Eur J Pediatr. 2003; 162: 488-489
- Drug Information Fulltext.in: American Society of Health-System Pharmacists. 2005: 229-331 (file)
- Effect on adrenal function of topically applied clobetasol propionate (Dermovate).Br Med J. 1975; 13: 619-621
- The adrenal cortex.in: Larsen P.R. Kronenberg H.M. Melmed S. Polonsky K.S. Williams Textbook of Endocrinology.10th ed. WB Saunders, Philadelphia2003: 497
Accepted: July 17, 2006
Received: June 12, 2006
© 2007 Southern Society for Clinical Investigation. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.