Key Indexing Terms
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of the Medical Sciences
American Heart Association. Statistical fact sheet 2013 update. Available at:http://www.heart.org/idc/groups/heart-public/@wcm/@sop/@smd/documents/downloadable/ucm_319576.pdf. Accessed December 1, 2013.
- Recent changes in cardiovascular risk factors among women and men.J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2006; 15: 734-746
World Health Organization. Social determinants of health. Available at:http://www.who.int/social_determinants/publications/womenandgender/en/. Accessed November 20, 2013.
- Gender medicine: a task for the third millennium.Clin Chem Lab Med. 2013; 51: 713-727
- Embedding Concepts of sex and gender health differences into medical curricula.J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2013; 22: 194-202
- Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence: encouraging gender analyses in scholarly publications.Eur Sci Ed. 2011; 37: 104-105
- Impact of changing definitions for myocardial infarction: a report from the AMIS registry.Am J Med. 2008; 121: 1065-1071
- Insights from a Contemporary analysis of sex-related differences in the treatment and outcomes of patients with acute coronary syndromes.Am Heart J. 2012; 163: 66-73
- Sex-related differences in the presentation, treatment and outcomes among patients with acute coronary syndromes: the Global Registry of Acute Coronary Events.Heart. 2009; 95: 20-26
- Sexist discrimination may account for well-known gender differences in psychiatric symptoms.Psychol Women Q. 2000; 24: 93-99
- A theoretical perspective on coping with stigma.J Soc Issues. 2001; 57: 73-92
- Genders, sexes, and health: what are the connections—and why does it matter?.Int J Epidemiol. 2003; 32: 652-657
- The Nature of Prejudice.Addison-Wesley, Oxford (United Kingdom)1954
- Discrimination Against Women: Prevalence, Consequences, Remedies.Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks (CA)1997
- Physical and psychiatric correlates of gender discrimination.Psychol Women Q. 1995; 19: 473-492
- The Ambivalent sexism Inventory: differentiating hostile and benevolent sexism.J Pers Soc Psychol. 1996; 70: 491-512
- The Social Psychology of Gender: How Power and Intimacy Shape Gender Relations.New York (NY), Guilford2008
- Excuse me—What did you just say? Women's public and private responses to sexist remarks.J Exp Social Psychol. 1999; 35: 68-88
- Stressful Life Events: Their Nature and Effects.John Wiley & Sons, New York (NY)1974
- Comparison of two modes of stress measurement: daily hassles and uplifts versus major life events.J Behav Med. 1981; 4: 1-39
- Effects of daily hassles and eating style on eating behavior.Health Psychol. 2008; 27: S20-S31
- Everyday sexism and posttraumatic stress disorder in women: a correlational study.J Womens Health (larchmt). 2013; 22: 194-202
- Examining the moderating role of self-esteem in the link between experiences of perceived sexist events and psychological distress.Couns Psychol. 2004; 51: 50
- Embodied discrimination: the relation of sexism and distress to women's drinking and smoking behaviors.Sex Roles. 2007; 56: 193-203
- The effects of race-related stress on cortisol reactivity in the laboratory: implications of the Duke lacrosse scandal.Ann Behav Med. 2008; 35: 105-110
Townsend SM, Major B, Gangi CE,Berry Mendes. From "In the air" to "Under the skin": cortisol responses to social identity threat. Pers Soc Psychol Bull 37:151–64.
- If it goes up, must it come down? Chronic stress and the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenocortical axis in humans.Psychol Bull. 2007; 133: 25
- Depression and cortisol responses to psychological stress: a meta-analysis.Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2005; 30: 846-856
- Non-suicidal self-injury.Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2011; 20: 103-108
- Stress-related cortisol secretion in men: relationships with abdominal obesity and endocrine, metabolic and hemodynamic abnormalities.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1998; 83: 1853-1859
- Mechanisms of cortisol-induced hypertension in humans.Steroids. 1995; 60: 76-80
- Effects of social stressors on cardiovascular reactivity in black and white women.Ann Behav Med. 2006; 31: 120-127
- Everyday sexism: evidence for its incidence, nature, and psychological impact from three daily diary studies.J Soc Issues. 2001; 57: 31-53
Supported by the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (K12HD043451-11).
The content is solely the responsibility of the author and does not necessarily represent the official views of the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute ofChild Health and Human Development or the National Institutes of Health.
The author has no conflicts of interest to disclose.