Common variable immunodeficiency (CVID) is characterized by hypogammaglobulinemia, defective antibody production and recurrent upper and lower respiratory tract infections. The diagnosis in adult patients is often thought to be rare, and thus misdiagnosis often occurs. A limited number of cases of adult-onset CVID have been reported in China, and the features of the syndrome remain unclear. The objective of this study was to describe the main characteristics of CVID, and evaluate the treatment of adult patients who present with CVID.
Materials and Methods
This was a retrospective analysis of 8 patients with CVID from different departments in 1 center in China. Patients were diagnosed according to the diagnostic criteria of the European Society for Immunodeficiency Diseases. Demographics, clinical and immunological data from each patient were collected and a statistical analysis was undertaken.
The mean age at diagnosis was 43 ± 13.7 years, whereas the mean duration of diagnostic delay was 10.5 years. The median total serum levels of immunoglobulin (Ig) G, IgA and IgM at diagnosis were 2.5 ± 0.59, 0.23 ± 0.05 and 0.17 ± 0.05 g/L, respectively. A total of 7 patients also had a low CD4+/CD8+ ratio. All patients presented with recurrent respiratory infections. Regular infusions of intravenous immunoglobulin every 3 weeks substantially reduced pneumonic episodes.
Diagnosis is often delayed in adult CVID. Pulmonary infections and diseases were the most frequent presentations at onset of the disease. Regular intravenous immunoglobulin infusions were beneficial in controlling recurrent infections.
Key Indexing Terms
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of the Medical Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Common variable immunodeficiency: a new look at an old disease.Lancet. 2008; 372: 489-502
- Clinical picture and treatment of 2212 patients with common variable immunodeficiency.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2014; 134: 116-126
- Autoimmunity in common variable immunodeficiency: correlation with lymphocyte phenotype in the French DEFI study.J Autoimmun. 2011; 36: 25-32
- Diagnostic criteria for primary immunodeficiencies. Representing PAGID (Pan-American Group for Immunodeficiency) and ESID (European Society for Immunodeficiencies).Clin Immunol. 1999; 93: 190-197
- The European internet-based patient and research database for primary immunodeficiencies: update 2011.Clin Exp Immunol. 2012; 167: 479-491
- Long-term evaluation of a historical cohort of Iranian common variable immunodeficiency patients.Expert Rev Clin Immunol. 2014; 10: 1405-1417
- Distribution, clinical features and treatment in Taiwanese patients with symptomatic primary immunodeficiency diseases (PIDs) in a nationwide population-based study during 1985-2010.Immunobiology. 2011; 216: 1286-1294
- Practice parameter for the diagnosis and management of primary immunodeficiency.Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2005; 94: S1-S63
- Common variable immunodeficiency: clinical and immunological features of 248 patients.Clin Immunol. 1999; 92: 34-48
- [Common variable immunodeficiency: report of 12 cases and review of literature].Zhonghua Nei Ke Za Zhi. 2008; 47: 378-381
- Clinical and immunological analysis of 23 adult patients with common variable immunodeficiency.J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol. 2010; 20: 222-236
- Homozygous loss of ICOS is associated with adult-onset common variable immunodeficiency.Nat Immunol. 2003; 4: 261-268
- ICOS deficiency in patients with common variable immunodeficiency.Clin Immunol. 2004; 113: 234-240
- TACI is mutant in common variable immunodeficiency and IgA deficiency.Nat Genet. 2005; 37: 829-834
- Mutations in TNFRSF13B encoding TACI are associated with common variable immunodeficiency in humans.Nat Genet. 2005; 37: 820-828
- B-cell activating factor receptor deficiency is associated with an adult-onset antibody deficiency syndrome in humans.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009; 106: 13945-13950
- An antibody-deficiency syndrome due to mutations in the CD19 gene.N Engl J Med. 2006; 354: 1901-1912
- Tackling the heterogeneity of CVID.Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol. 2005; 5: 504-509
- Adult-onset presentations of genetic immunodeficiencies: genes can throw slow curves.Curr Opin Infect Dis. 2010; 23: 359-364
- Association of CLEC16A with human common variable immunodeficiency disorder and role in murine B cells.Nat Commun. 2015; 6: 6804
- B-cell numbers in the blood of patients with non-HLA*B8 or non-HLA*B44 common variable immunodeficiency.Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2007; 98: 163-167
- Common variable immunodeficiency patient classification based on impaired B cell memory differentiation correlates with clinical aspects.J Clin Immunol. 2003; 23: 385-400
- Pulmonary complications of common variable immunodeficiency.Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2007; 98 ([quiz -11, 43]): 1-8
- Clinical and immunological features of common variable immunodeficiency in Mexican patients.Allergol Immunopathol. 2014; 42: 235-240
- Respiratory disorders in common variable immunodeficiency.Respir Med. 2001; 95: 191-195
- Common variable immunodeficiency: crossroads between infections, inflammation and autoimmunity.Autoimmun Rev. 2013; 12: 796-801
- High-dose versus low-dose intravenous immunoglobulin in hypogammaglobulinaemia and chronic lung disease.Lancet. 1987; 1: 1075-1077
- Effectiveness of immunoglobulin replacement therapy on clinical outcome in patients with primary antibody deficiencies: results from a multicenter prospective cohort study.J Clin Immunol. 2011; 31: 315-322
- Intravenous immunoglobulin replacement therapy in the treatment of patients with common variable immunodeficiency disease: an open-label prospective study.Clin Drug Investig. 2011; 31: 299-307
- Thymic-dependent anti-hapten response in congenitally athymic (nude) mice immunized with DNP-thymosin.Immunology. 1977; 33: 757-765
☆This work was supported by the Education Department of Shandong Province research grant (Project no. J10LF78) and the Qingdao Science and Technology Bureau research grant (Project No. 11-2-4-2-(13)-jch) to Dr Jing Dong.
☆☆The authors have no financial or other conflicts of interest to disclose.
© 2016 Southern Society for Clinical Investigation. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.