Chemotherapeutic agents directed against human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER-2) have significantly improved the prognosis of patients who are positive for this receptor. However, cardiomyopathy remains as a common adverse effect of using these agents.
Materials and Methods
Literature search was conducted via PubMed using the keywords of “Trastuzumab Cardiomyopathy,” “Lapatinib Cardiomyopathy” and “Pertuzumab Cardiomyopathy,” which provided 104 results. These articles were then screened for relevance to the targeted subject based on their title and abstracts. Case reports and articles that were not discussing any aspect of cardiomyopathy secondary to targeted therapy for breast cancer and articles not in English were eliminated. After elimination, a bibliography search among selected articles was done and a total of 46 articles were identified. The collected articles were then meticulously analyzed and summarized.
The use of human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER-2) receptor targeted chemotherapy in breast cancer is limited because of a higher incidence (19–22%) of cardiomyopathy. The incidence of cardiomyopathy is not dose dependent and in most cases it is reversible after discontinuation of the drug and treatment with heart failure medications. Severe adverse outcomes including death or permanent disability are rare.
HER-2 targeted chemotherapy for breast cancer has a higher incidence of associated reversible cardiomyopathy. Patients should be monitored by serial echocardiography starting at the beginning of the treatment and followed by every 3 months until the completion of chemotherapy. Co-ordination between oncologists and cardiologists is needed to develop evidence-based protocols to prevent, identify, monitor and treat trastuzumab-induced cardiomyopathy.
Key Indexing Terms
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to The American Journal of the Medical Sciences
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Assessing the risk of breast cancer.N Engl J Med. 2000; 342: 564-571
- Estimating the world cancer burden: Globocan 2000.Int J Cancer. 2001; 94: 153-156
- Breast cancer control: signs of progress, but more work required.Breast. 2005; 14: 429-438
- Annual report to the nation on the status of cancer, 1975-2005, featuring trends in lung cancer, tobacco use, and tobacco control.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2008; 100: 1672-1694
- Humanization of an anti-p185HER2 antibody for human cancer therapy.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1992; 89: 4285-4289
- Trastuzumab plus adjuvant chemotherapy for operable HER2-positive breast cancer.N Engl J Med. 2005; 353: 1673-1684
- Herceptin Adjuvant (HERA) Trial Study Team. Trastuzumab after adjuvant chemotherapy in HER2-positive breast cancer.N Engl J Med. 2005; 353: 1659-1672
- HER2: biology, detection, and clinical implications.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2011; 135: 55-62
- Randomized phase II trial of the efficacy and safety of trastuzumab combined with docetaxel in patients with human epidermal growth factor receptor 2-positive metastatic breast cancer administered as first-line treatment: the M77001 study group.J Clin Oncol. 2005; 23: 4265-4274
- Herceptin Adjuvant (HERA) Trial Study Team. Treatment with trastuzumab for 1 year after adjuvant chemotherapy in patients with HER2-positive early breast cancer: a 4-year follow-up of a randomised controlled trial.Lancet Oncol. 2011; 12: 236-244
- Cardiac dysfunction in the trastuzumab clinical trials experience.J Clin Oncol. 2002; 20: 1215-1221
- Trastuzumab-induced cardiomyopathy: not as benign as it looks? A retrospective study.J Card Fail. 2009; 15: 651
- Cardiac complications associated with trastuzumab in the setting of adjuvant chemotherapy for breast cancer overexpressing human epidermal growth factor receptor type 2—a prospective study.Arch Med Sci. 2012; 8: 227-357
- Incidence of heart failure or cardiomyopathy after adjuvant trastuzumab therapy for breast cancer.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2012; 60: 2504-2512
- Use of chemotherapy plus a monoclonal antibody against HER2 for metastatic breast cancer that overexpresses HER2.N Engl J Med. 2001; 344: 783-792
- Pharmacovigilance Study Team. Risk of heart failure in breast cancer patients after anthracycline and trastuzumab treatment: a retrospective cohort study.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2012; 104: 1293-1305
- Cardiac dysfunction associated with trastuzumab.Expert Opin Drug Saf. 2006; 5: 619-629
- Trastuzumab in the treatment of metastatic breast cancer : anticancer therapy versus cardiotoxicity.Circulation. 2000; 102: 272-274
- Assessment of cardiac dysfunction in a randomized trial comparing doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide followed by paclitaxel, with or without trastuzumab as adjuvant therapy in node-positive, human epidermal growth factor receptor 2-overexpressing breast cancer: NSABP B-31.J Clin Oncol. 2005; 23: 7811-7819
- Risk of cardiovascular adverse events from trastuzumab (Herceptin(®)) in elderly persons with breast cancer: a population-based study.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2014; 144: 163-170
- Trastuzumab-induced cardiomyopathy: incidence and associated risk factors in an inner-city population.J Card Fail. 2014; 20: 555-559
- Retrospective analysis of the safety of Herceptin immunotherapy in metastatic breast cancer.Oncology. 2001; 61: 58-66
- Congenital absence of nitric oxide synthase 3 potentiates cardiac dysfunction and reduces survival in doxorubicin- and trastuzumab-mediated cardiomyopathy.Can J Cardiol. 2014; 30: 359-367
- Inhibition of ErbB2 causes mitochondrial dysfunction in cardiomyocytes: implications for herceptin-induced cardiomyopathy.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2004; 44: 2231-2238
- Phase II trial of trastuzumab followed by weekly paclitaxel/carboplatin as first-line treatment for patients with metastatic breast cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2004; 22: 1621-1629
Yousif NG, Al-Amran FG. Novel Toll-like receptor-4 deficiency attenuates trastuzumab (Herceptin) induced cardiac injury in mice. BMC Cardiovasc Disord. 2011 11:62
- Serum HER2 levels are increased in patients with chronic heart failure.Eur J Heart Fail. 2007; 9: 173-177
- Trastuzumab mediated cardiotoxicity in the setting of adjuvant chemotherapy for breast cancer: a retrospective study.Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2009; 117: 357-364
- Reversibility of trastuzumab-related cardiotoxicity: new insights based on clinical course and response to medical treatment.J Clin Oncol. 2005; 23: 7820-7826
- Cardiac toxicity of trastuzumab-related regimens in HER2-overexpressing breast cancer.Clin Breast Cancer. 2007; 7: 600-607
- Effect of cardiac dysfunction on treatment outcomes in women receiving trastuzumab for HER2-overexpressing metastatic breast cancer.Clin Breast Cancer. 2004; 5: 293-298
- Cardiac management during adjuvant trastuzumab therapy: recommendations of the Canadian Trastuzumab Working Group.Curr Oncol. 2008; 15: 24-35
- The utility of cardiac biomarkers, tissue velocity and strain imaging, and cardiac magnetic resonance imaging in predicting early left ventricular dysfunction in patients with human epidermal growth factor receptor II-positive breast cancer treated with adjuvant trastuzumab therapy.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2011; 57: 2263-2270
- Trastuzumab-induced cardiotoxicity: clinical and prognostic implications of troponin I evaluation.J Clin Oncol. 2010; 28: 3910-3916
- Risk prediction model for heart failure and cardiomyopathy after adjuvant trastuzumab therapy for breast cancer.J Am Heart Assoc. 2014; 3: e000472
- The cardioprotective role of probucol against anthracycline and trastuzumab-mediated cardiotoxicity.J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2011; 24: 699-705
- Effects of carvedilol and its analog BM-910228 on mitochondrial function and oxidative stress.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2000; 295: 1022-1030
- Protective effects of carvedilol against anthracycline-induced cardiomyopathy.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2006; 48: 2258-2262
- Trastuzumab-induced cardiomyopathy.J Card Fail. 2008; 14: 437-444
- Echocardiography signs of early cardiac impairment in patients with breast cancer and trastuzumab therapy.Clin Res Cardiol. 2012; 101: 415-426
- A phase II study on metastatic breast cancer patients treated with weekly vinorelbine with or without trastuzumab according to HER2 expression: changing the natural history of HER2-positive disease.Ann Oncol. 2006; 17: 630-636
- Detection, monitoring, and management of trastuzumab-induced left ventricular dysfunction: an actual challenge.Eur J Heart Fail. 2012; 14: 130-137
- Cancer therapy-induced left ventricular dysfunction: interventions and prognosis.J Card Fail. 2014; 20: 155-158
- Lapatinib plus capecitabine for HER2-positive advanced breast cancer.N Engl J Med. 2006; 355: 2733-2743
- Randomized study of Lapatinib alone or in combination with trastuzumab in women with ErbB2-positive, trastuzumab-refractory metastatic breast cancer.J Clin Oncol. 2010; 28: 1124-1130
Accepted: September 22, 2015
Received: May 21, 2015
The authors have no financial or other conflicts of interest to disclose.
© 2016 Southern Society for Clinical Investigation. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.